Saturday, June 27, 2009

I'm bored in my apartment

so I decided it was time for a blog post. I was recently to Dartmouth for the graduation ceremony of Class of 2009. I'm covering this in excruciating, and often unnecessary, detail on Facebook so I won't reiterate the details here. However, I'm going to say a few words about how it made me feel.

I guess this trip to Dartmouth finally allowed me to let go of my imaginary lost paradise and get going with my life. For a long time, I didn't want to interact with Seattle, its people and what else it had to offer, because it was not the same as what I had at Dartmouth. For a long time, I felt separated from my closest people, and I had started thinking there was no point in trying to create lasting relationships, because another "forceful separation" would duly come.

Then I went to Dartmouth, and had a much longed for, much dreamed about, much magnified and mythologized reunion with the people that made Dartmouth home for me. And what I saw was very unequivocal, and very clear - they had all moved on, nobody was trying to hold on to a past snapshot of time. I guess that allowed me to move on also. The invisible wall inside of me that shielded me from my new home crumbled, and I realized that I can always go back to the period between 2004-2008 in my mind without being its prisoner at the same time.

My friends, unknowingly, helped me go on once again. My mother's prophecy turned right - "things are going to sort themselves out when you go there." So they did.

No comments: